Just installed a new hard disk on your PC, but Windows was unable to detect it?
Step 1 Download Ubuntu
A new hard disk requires that you create a partition table before you can do a format. Download the Ubuntu Desktop CD 10.04LTS 32bit x86 for Intel users.
- The Live CD won't boot on a faulty hard disk. However, there is an option to create a USB persistent flash drive using the startup disk creator.
Step 2 Boot from CD
Insert the CD into your DVD drive and boot from the CD (you'll need to change your PC's boot order).
Step 3 Try without Installing
You'll be given a selection of options. Choose "Try Ubuntu without Installing."
- For my Nvdia equipped laptop, I needed to change the CD's boot mode by pressing "F4" and setting it to NOAPIC, then deleting quiet splash.
Step 4 Disk Utility
After it finishes loading, go to System > Administration > Disk utility.
Ubuntu's disk utility will detect it as an unknown volume.
Step 5 Create a Partition Table
Run GParted. Go to System > Administration > GParted (Install this through Synaptic Package Manager).
Also, you can use a GParted Live CD.
Create a partition table.
Step 6 Choose Size
Then create your desired partition size.
You can manually set the partition size by dragging the arrow on the right side. Then format to NTFS, EXT, FAT 32, etc.
Click "Apply" to proceed with the changes.
Step 7 Install Windows
Now install your Windows.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades